Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Fulbright Finland: Friends I Made Along the Way! March 17, 2019

Friends,

I am incredibly grateful for the opportunity I had to travel to Finland to learn about the education system and culture.  I soaked up as much as possible during my ten days. 

Now that I am back home, reading my notes and reflecting on my trip, I notice a gaping hole in my documentation.  I've left out the impressive Americans who I met on March 7, as strangers, and said goodbye to on March 16 as friends.  We will forever be bonded with shared memories, and Finnish Nightmares, and serve as resources to each other.  I am currently reading a book that Michele Miller (Colorado) recommended, Radical Candor, planning to use Jason Clinkscale's (Michigan) "5 whys" technique, and laughing incessantly about Doug Wehner's (St. Louis, Missouri) reindeer rug impulse buy that he's trying to unload for 30 Euro's, including free delivery...by sleigh! 

I look forward to being part of a network of support across the USA.  I have a map of the US in my office, similar to the one below, that I look at often.  Now when I look at it, I connect my new friends to their states in my mind. 

Clark Tenney in Arizona, Michelle Miller and Judi Dauman in Colorado, Melissa Jacobs in Houston, Texas, Sharada Deaton in Nashville Tennessee, Doug Wehner in St. Louis, Missouri, Jason Clinkscale and Chris Huff in Michigan, and Mary Anne Butler in Connecticut.  


AND....our bonus cohort partner, Betsy Devlin-Foltz in Washington, DC, from the US Department of State!  She is the brains behind Fulbright!   


 First Night in Finland 

One of the many times we squeezed 11 of us in an elevator at the Hilton in Helsinki. 
 Graduation Ceremony - Fulbright Grant Awards



 "American Nightmares"....waiting for our check for over an hour.  : )  

 Reindeer Rug Impulse Buy
 Laughing - (Reindeer Rugs are funny!) 




 Judi and Doug led the way with free Oat Milk and cookie samples.  YUM!













No comments:

Post a Comment